"We wanted to take control of the game early," Donovan said. "We had tons of chances in both of the (other) games and things weren't going our way. It's just getting that little bit of luck, that break, and it came in that first goal."

Kyle Martino's crossing pass from the left flank drew goalkeeper Brad Guzan away from the net. The ball deflected off Chivas USA defender Claudio Suarez to Donovan, who converted into an empty net from four yards.

Cannon dived to his left to deflect Amado Guevara's 23-yard shot away from the right post in the 11th minute, then leaped to redirect Alex Zotinca's 7-yard header over the crossbar in the 12th minute.

Kevin Harmes gave the Galaxy a 2-0 lead in the 17th minute. Donovan passed the ball through two defenders to end a give-and-go to Harmes, who eluded two more defenders and kicked a 7-yard shot inside the left post.

"We hardly gave ourselves a chance," Chivas USA forward Ante Razov said. "We made a couple of mistakes and they punished us for it. Two mental breakdowns just killed us."

Suarez narrowed the deficit to 2-1 in the 63rd minute before Cobi Jones ended the scoring with a 13-yard shot in the 78th minute. Donovan set up the goal with a 60-yard run, in which he jumped over Lawson Vaughn's attempted tackle before passing to Jones.

Hendrickson's goal came after his initial shot got past United goalkeeper Troy Perkins but was kicked off the goal line by defender Devon McTavish. The ball caromed off the head of D.C. midfielder Joshua Gros and back into Hendrickson's path for an easy score in the 28th minute.

"It was an instinct goal," Hendrickson said. "I made the run and no one picked me up. ... Luckily (the ball) came back to me, and ... I figured I had to put it away."

Joseph Ngwenya had a close-range scoring chance seven minutes earlier for the Crew (1-0-3), when he took a low crossing pass from Frankie Hejduk inside the 6-yard box and fired the ball straight into Perkins, who was well positioned to make the save in the 21st minute.

Luciano Emilio appeared to tie the score in the 38th minute for United (0-3-0), but the goal was disallowed when referee Jorge Gonzalez ruled Emilio deliberately used his hand to direct the ball into the net. Emilio also received a yellow card on the play.

Almost everyone in the crowd of 13,572 headed for the shelter of the stadium concourse when a thunderstorm rolled across the stadium in the 73rd minute. After 11 minutes of hard rain and lightning, Gonzalez suspended the game for 24 minutes.

"I thought that the lightning had hit the transformer and had knocked out the electricity and then it would be an official game," Crew coach Sigi Schmid joked. "Next time we'll have to hit that switch."

Conversation guidelines: USA TODAY welcomes your thoughts, stories and information related to this article.Please stay on topic and be respectful of others. Keep the conversation appropriate for interested readers across the map.

This is cache, read story here